Various denominations held preaching services in a nearby schoolhouse prior to the founding of Burden.
Rev. C. A. Stine had organized a Methodist class in 1877-78 which had been meeting in the Culp schoolhouse. In 1881 this class began the building of the Burden Methodist church which was completed and dedicated in 1882. Rev. C. A. Dourmous and J. Q. Knight were the first pastors. The first Sunday school of the town was organized by the Methodist people with an enrollment of 75. Dr. J. H. Phelps was superintendent.
Early settlers of the Baptist faith had organized a church at the Silver Creek schoolhouse, equally as early as had the Methodists, They began holding services in the schoolhouse as soon as it was moved into town and later held meetings in the Methodist church on alternate Sundays. By 1882 there were about 20 church members.
The Church of Christ had congregations at Lazette and Baltimore schoolhouse at an early date and members of these congregations established preaching services in the Burden schoolhouse soon after it was moved. Elder J. W. Shively organized a congregation with 35 members in the spring of 1882.
The Baptist faith as established In the Burden vicinity can be traced to the work of two ministers, Joel Haycraft and R. S. Thompson, both zealous and loyal leaders, who worked diligently in the Baltimore schoolhouse district 13, established in 1871. Haycraft homesteaded about one mile south of where Atlanta now stands and there he resided with his family until his death, 1886. He is buried in the Burden cemetery.
Rev. Thompson homesteaded west of Baltimore. He was sought to officiate at the marriage of many of the pioneers. He extended his evangelistic activities beyond his immediate neighborhood and was at a later date pastor of the Burden Baptist church. The Baptist Church also had an organization farther north in the county and held services at the Box schoolhouse.
Prior to 1879, pioneer members of the Baptist church began worship at the Silver Creek schoolhouse southwest of Burden. The Rev. Henry Thomas was the first pastor and was probably the founder of the organization.
Soon after the town of Burden was founded the Burden Baptist Church was organized and the first meeting place was in the schoolhouse. Later the sessions were held in the Methodist church at that time part of the circuit and holding services only part time.
A score of names constitute the membership in 1882 and with the growing population of' the town, the membership increased rapidly. The earliest pastors were Henry Thomas, R. S. Thompson and S. P. Firestone.
In 1885 the church building was erected and a short time later a parsonage was built under the leadership of Rev. Childs. For many years the ordinance of baptism was observed in Silver creek on land homesteaded by Harvey Smith.
In 1882 the church had 20 members and among the names recorded were those of L. T. Dyer, James Galyon, John R. Cates, Amanda Goforth, Julia West and Caroline Galyon.
Early history of the Church of Christ in Burden is closely connected with that of the church in Cambridge and the now non-existent communities of Baltimore and Lazette. The church can date its life in Eastern Cowley County back to 1870.
Lazette, located on Grouse creek in 1870, was the first community to have a congregation and it is recorded that Elder William Gans preached the first sermon in the village; that Henry D, Wilkins who with Samuel M, Fall, laid out that town, was the first man in the county to be baptized by immersion
The Church of Christ was organized in that community in 1871 by Elder Irvin and the earliest baptisms were conducted at the Grouse creek ford two miles above Cambridge.
In May, 1870, the Dwyer family including the mother Mary, one daughter Lottie Dwyer Sipe and three sons George, W. E., and J. C. Homesteaded on Grouse creek and were prominent in the Eastern Cowley congregation. H. C. was one of the first elders chosen. In 1888 the congregation built a church building in Cambridge, but prior to that held meetings, for about seven years in the Cambridge schoolhouse.
In 1873 the church held a meeting in Stolp's grove under the leadership of Elder Harvey and a score or more of the early settlers became members of the congregation, which met at Baltimore. Later the congregation held its meetings at Grand Center schoolhouse. Elder Skeggs and Elder Jasper Goodwell were leaders there and nearby communities.
It was in 1882 that the Church of Christ in the Burden vicinity felt there was a need for a congregation nearer than at Baltimore or Cambridge and a congregation was established in Burden. Elder J. W. Shively of Lane, Kans., was an early leader, meeting with the group on many occasions.
Prominently associated with the church activities in the early day was Daniel Kempton, sr., an elder, who was succeeded by his son, Daniel, jr., as an elder. The latter served for many years.
One of the earliest Methodist Episcopal ministers was C. A. Stine, a circuit rider belonging to the Wichita conference. This appointment was designated as the Lazette Mission. Another early day minister was Luther Loy, whose family homesteaded in Harvey Township. Reverend Loy was a man who had attained prominence in his church and contributed conscientious and sacrificing service to establish Methodism in the new country.
In 1877 or 78, Rev. C. A. Stine organized a Methodist class which met in the Culp schoolhouse one miles north of Burden. This was named the Shiloh class, because a number of its members had belonged to. a class by that name in their native state of Tennessee. This class was a part of the Lazette mission charge.
Very soon after the town of Burden was established in 1879 this schoolhouse was moved into town and this class later became known as the Burden Methodist church. A charter was granted in 1880 and a church building and parsonage had been completed by 1882. Rev. C. W. Commons was the first pastor, succeeded by Rev. J. Q. Knight. The first Sunday school of the town was founded by this church with an enrollment of 75 and with J. H. Phelps as superintendent.
In 1879 the Mt. Vernon schoolhouse, District 113 was built and church services were established before the workmen were finished. This class was a part of the Burden circuit and leaders were James F. Smith and James H. Smith who conducted the sessions when the preacher was not in attendance.
In 1887 a new spiritual awakening was experienced in Methodist circles, when the Rev. Banner E. Shawhan of Danville, Ill., became pastor of the Burden circuit and held evangelistic services at both Mt. Vernon and Burden. This resulted in the building of the Mt. Vernon church in 1889.
Atlanta was founded in 1885 and for a time, the school building was the meeting place for the various religious denominations. In 1889, the Methodist church South was built. Many of the early settlers of that locality came from southern states and southern traditions predominated. Rev. Mr. Broadhurst was the first minister. In the course of time the Methodist Episcopal church succeeded this organization and a new building was dedicated Nov. 11, 1900.
The Evangelical church of Cambridge was built in 1888. Prior to that an organization had been perfected and services were held in the schoolhouse.