Old Wilmot began in 1869-1870, and then moved to second location called New Wilmot in 1885.

Pickwick Club, Wilmot Ks. 1888

Back Row: Ike Lewis, Mark Phoenix, Clara Stephens Pho--, Kate (Hart) Holmes, Kirk Thompson, Sam Thompson, Hattie Oral, John Holmes, Rose Jones, Walter Lewis

Middle Row: Otto Binkendorf, Alta (Stephens) Lewis, Robert Copeland, Howard Flora, Anna (Stephens) Smith, Jack Stephens, Carrie (Coe) Stephens

Front Row: Samuel James Lewis, Sadie (Saphins) Sphar, Clara (Smith) Holmes, Mattie (Cohagan) Kirkpatrick, Urnnie Limerick Asil Stephens.

Wilmot Depot 1912

Mrs. T. R. (Maggie) Eastman, Switchboard operator at Telephone Exchange in Wilmot

Wesley L. and Lydia Parkerson, Wedding Feb. 12 1920
Lived two miles North and one and one
quarter East of Wilmot Near Summit School

Queen Village just East of Wilmot Ks. 1909

Back Row: Teacher is Clay J. Smith Sr. Hazel Hart, Jessie Butterworth, Tom Steffins, Ralph Daggett, Ralph Courtney, Lee Heart, Viola Daggett, Icel Lewis

Middle Row: Charles Eastman, Tilda Hart, Ethel Avis, Clarence Butterworth,Thomas Arthur Eastman, Emory Lewis, Walter Butterworth

Front Row: Delbert Avis, Walter Eastman, Roy Avis, Marie Eastman,Dorthy Eastma, Ruth Stebbins, Johnny Eastman, Anna Butterworth

Emory Lewis getting quick tune up in Wilmot garage. Maybe another run to Cambridge to see his girl friend?


Wilmot Christian Church in 1908

Winfield Courier 1967 Wilmot Christian Church 62 years old.

Until the late 1870's or early 1880's, there was not much settlement in Wilmot. However, at that time the claims were being rapidly taken up, mostly by young couples with children of school age or younger who had brought with them the desire for the best in religious training and schooling that they could give their children under the circumstances. This was achieved by subscription schools held in their one or two room houses, which also were used for religious worship.

The Wilmot Christian Church was organized on Aug. 6, 1887 soon after the Frisco Railroad came through and a town site laid out for the town to be called Wilmot. A high school or academy was soon built to be used for both school and church purposes.

Charter Members

This building was just across the street from where the Wilmot Christian Church now stands. At the time, there were 14 charter members who were N. J. and Anna Thompson, J. R. and Mollie Cottingham, D. O. and Anna Woodside, Fannie, WaIter and Alta Lewis, Mrs. Lena Coe, R. C. and M. A. Jones, Rose and John Jones.

During the latter part of 1887 and 1888, the membership had greatly expanded and election of officers was held with Rev. Holmes as minister. Deacons elected were Cal Sturm, N. C. Holt, R. C. Jones and J. N. Dunbar. Elders elected were D. O. Woodside and J. R. Cottingham; clerk and treasurer, S. W. Caldwell; chorister, Cal Sturm; secretary, John Jones and pianist, Rose Jones.

In 1904 and 1905 the Wilmot Christian Church was built by free will contributions of labor and finance through subscription and solicitation.

The church was dedicated on Easter Sunday, 1905, with Rev. Guy as pastor. Through the many years the church has had some problems as well as success, but it has never had its doors closed to worship services.

50th Anniversary

On Easter Sunday, 1935, the 50th anniversary of the church was observed with an all day session and homecoming with basket dinner at noon. A number of those represented were also present at the dedication of 1905.

In a careful survey, it is noted that Alma (Jones) Cloud has attended the Wilmot Christian Church her entire life and she and Hrs. T. R. Eastman are the only two present. Members who have remained constant in attendance and active workers in the church through the passing of the years, serving in various capacities.

Rev. J. W. Chadwick of Derby is the present pastor of the church, delivering sermons both morning and evening every other Sunday.

Sunday School services are held every Sunday from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Morning worship service is 11 a.m. to 12. A 15 minute song service precedes the 7 p.m. worship service in the evening.

A cordial Invitation Is extended at all times to any who wish to attend.

date of picture Unknown, but later than 1930

Back Row: L to R: Hale Stevenson, Cecil Kelly, Harry Lee Groom, Lora Mae Guy,
Anna Lee Gregory, Eleanor Smith, Edna Sturm, Lucy Dunbar, Beth Holt, Beatrice Stites, Lawrence Kelly, ?
Blackburn boy, ? Blackburn girl, Dorothy Smith

Next Row: Merle Stevenson, Charles Kelly, Darby Stites, Gary Head, Oran Hall, Cecil Eastman, Marie Dunvar,
James Groom, **Mary Case, Alice Dunbar, ??, ??, Elsie Danner, Naoma Head, Faye Elkins, ??

Next Row: ??, Nola Mary Groom, Alace Danner, Martha Stevenson, Bernadine Hall, Katherine Lewis,
Earnest Hensley, ***Wilber Leatherman, Ray Smith, George Sphar, Jimmy Lettell, June Lettell, Juanitta Walker

Front Row: ??, Jimmy Hensley, Maxine Kelly, Sherman Havens, Cecil Havens, Betty Lewis,
Roselie Eastman, Marshal Piper, *Opal Smith, Billy Cloud, Glen Colvin, Dixie Stites, Harold Sphar,
 Blanch Calvin, Marjorie Lewis, Paul Flint, Hilda Eastman, Wanda Eastman
* Teacher, ** Primary Superintendent, *** Preacher ?? unknown, ? maybe.

The Wilmot Christian Church from its origin in about 1890 to 1895.
A newspaper item: WILMOT NEWS Rev. Woodside filled his appointment Sunday.

A large audience gave him a good hearing.

(At Christian Church Wilmot, KS) Winfield Daily Courier January 5, 1899


N. J. Thompson
Mrs. Anna Thompson
Mrs. Mollie Cottingham
D. O. Woodside
Mrs. Anna Woodside
Fannie Lewis
Walter Lewis
Mrs. Alta Lewis
Lena Coe
R. C. Jones
Mrs. M. A. Jones
Rose Jones
John Jones

August 6, 1897
Rev. Holmes Spoke

Cal Sturm
N. C. Holt
R. J. Jones
J. M. Dunbar

D. O. Woodside
J. R. Cottingham

S. W. Caldwell

C. Sturm

L. H. Dunbar
W. L. Case
Noah Holt
W. A. Dunbar
O. C. Holt
Alvin Conrad

Gilbert Gordon
Otto Koerting
J. A. Floyd
Arden Haskins
W. L. Parkerson
Otis Wadsack


The parents of William Bryan Woodside, Jr. (William B. Woodside and Mariam Artemissa Thompson) were from Kentucky but after two journeys West they settled in Woodson County, Kansas in the fall of 1871.

In 1880, their fifth child, William Jr., married Lucy Dumond, whose family came to Kansas from Ohio. Their first child, Amy, was born in 1881. Lucy died after the birth of their fourth child.

font-size: 1.4em;He was a minister in the Christian Church and in 1895 he married second wife, Mamie Crooker They lived in several Kansas towns and by 1899 the family was living in Wilmot.

Woodside was instrumental in building two churches in Cowley County.

The Christian Church in Atlanta was completed in 1900 and the church in Wilmot was completed in 1901. He performed the first wedding in the Atlanta church.

Amy Woodside, (first child of William and Lucy Dumond Woodside) married Herbert S. Groom in 1901. They were lifetime residents of the Atlanta area. Joyce L. Krehbiel

A tribute to those deceased, And to those alive, Who attended the dedication Easter Sunday, 1905.

Before building the church, Services were in the old town hall, Which was many times better Than having no church at all.

But their faith never wavered, Said one member to another, Some day we'll have a church yet.

They talked, worshiped, and prayed, Sang songs, and God praised.

A church building we want, But no funds can be raised.

To their presiding minister Their problem they told.

We want to build a church, But we haven't the gold.

To those faithful members Spoke dear Preacher Guy, You can have a church here If you really will try.

Now beloved Brother Guy If that money we raise, We’ll shout ‘Hallelujah! And give God the praise.

They then took on courage, And joined hand in hand, We’ll build a church here And long may it stand.

Said Brother Noah to Brother Cal, On our wives we can count, We’ll ask them to go out And help raise the amount.

So they hitched the farm horses To the old fashioned surrey, And those two Christian women Drove away in a hurry.

Week after week, day after day, Those ladies could be seen Driving over ditched roads And pastures not green Said they to their neighbors, We are soliciting money Just as sure as you live, We are going to build a church, Please, how much can you give? Or the little tin pan, They brought out their coin Saying, We’ll help what we can.

On November l8, 1904, into the treasury They poured the contents Of six hundred dollars And fifty cents.

Now, in their mind’s eye A new church they could see, They were so very happy Their hearts filled with glee.

The men labored daily With saw, hammer and spade, And now for the new church The foundation was laid.

The church was completed After months, weeks and days.

A miracle had been wrought, And they gave God the praise They viewed the new structure Both inside and out, They were so happy They almost could shout.

Some had given money, Others their time gave, All worked together Expenses to save.

Up in the steeple They placed a large bell That all within its sound The church hour could tell.

When the big bell pealed, It's near time to begin.

In wagon, cart and buggy They came driving in.

Dad, mother and children, In front seat and back, They hitched their teams To the old hitch rack.

And when the bell said, It’s now time to begin. They all spoke with reverence, And straightway went in.

The preacher in the pulpit, The laymen in their pews, Were eagerly waiting To hear the good news.

Then arose the church clerk, My report I'll now make.

To make our books balance Eleven dollars more it will take.

To date Easter' Sunday, May 1905, Twelve hundred, eleven dollars And ninety-nine cents Altogether had been raised.

We want to thank one and all And our Dear God be praised, For the eleven dollars Still lacking yet The tray was passed round And the sum was soon met.

Then from the pulpit, Came a demand and a shout, All who are happy Let your voices ring out.

They sang, “Hallelujah!” “Hallelujah,” again, They sang, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Amen.

Reverently spoke the minister, Lead us in prayer, please.

And devout men and women Dropped down on their knees To Thee, Dear Heavenly Father, Unto Thee, we pour out our thanks, That the richest of treasures Are not found in banks.

And, Dear Father, we could Not he.

Ye done this Had we not Thy help had.

For this expression of love, We truly are glad.

For fifty long years The Wilmot Christian Church has stood A church home for many A landmark for good.

As a Beacon Light Through years to come Where all may learn of God And have a church home.

These pioneers had built Their faith upon a rock Throughout Eternity to stand, For would be aught To build one's faith Upon a pile of sand.

They took the Bible For their guide Christ the Rock On which to build The Truth they sought From day to day Their lives with Truth were filled.

Those dear pioneers Have come and gone But left a Work for us To carry on.

And fifty years hence When our children look back May they say we were true Christians, Not one thing did we lack.

      Composed By Mrs. T. R. Eastman